The Charge Nurse position is an experienced professional who demonstrates clinical, leadership, and interpersonal skill proficiency.
The Charge Nurse facilitates and supports the clinical and operational needs of individual inpatient care areas in partnership with management.
- Leads day to day operations supporting safe throughput and access to care
- Ensures staffing according to patient needs and collaborates with leaders and staffing resource office (inpatient) using established staffing guidelines.
- Accurately documents within labor management software to ensure fiscal stewardship.
Team member support
- Serves as a resource for team members and facilitates adherence to policies and clinical practice guiding resources.
- Ensures access to appropriate levels of care, and facilitates clinical/operational escalation as needed.
- Facilitates a calm and productive working environment
- Supports team members in non patient care activities such as professional development activities, participation in practice environment problem solving, breaks etc.
- Supports patient experience through support of team member identified needs, patient rounding (inpatient), service recovery and problem solving. Coordinates support services as needed to address patient needs. Engages with the team, patients and visitors to optimize the patient experience.
- Promotes closed loop communication and collaboration between team members, clinical disciplines and ancillary departments.
Environment of Care
- Manages care environment to ensure regulatory and safety standards are met.
- Facilitates team huddles and use of visual management boards as a mechanism to promote communication.
- Supports setting specific work to achieve local and organizational quality goals and use of standard work.
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
Position Compensation Range: $39.39 - $64.99 Hourly
Education: Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing or currently enrolled in an accredited nursing BSN/MSN program that will be completed within 5 years of hire.
Experience: RN Clinician 2 or higher who has been employed on the unit for 6 months or has had previous Charge Nurse experience from another unit/organization.
Licensure: Licensed to Practice as a Registered Nurse in the Commonwealth of Virginia. American Heart Association (AHA) Health Care Provider BLS certification required.
Job requires standing for prolonged periods, frequently traveling and bending/stooping. Proficient communicative, auditory and visual skills; Attention to detail and ability to write legibly; Ability to lift/push/pull 20 - 50lbs. May be exposed to chemicals, blood/body fluids and infectious disease.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.