If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.
The Web/Linux Jr. Systems Administrator provides technical and web support for School of Communication faculty, staff, and students. Maintain and troubleshoot computer systems located throughout the school and log issues in an online incident management system. Perform daily checks of classroom and lab computers to ensure proper functionality. Support maintenance, development, and enhancement of School websites. Provide systems administration duties for Linux and Windows servers. Reports to the Manager of Information Technology at the School of Communication.
CORE JOB FUNCTIONS
40% Systems Administration and Web Support:
- Manage RedHat Linux web servers and Windows application servers.
- Perform regular patching and updates for application and web servers.
- Collaborate with the IT Security & Compliance team to remediate vulnerabilities and perform necessary security patching and hardening procedures as needed.
- Support content updates, development, maintenance, and enhancements of the school websites.
- Set up and configure new websites as needed.
- Monitor web server performance, identifying bottlenecks, and optimizing system resources.
- Proficient in writing and modifying PHP code to maintain website functionality.
40% IT Support:
- Maintain and troubleshoot Mac and PC systems in classrooms, labs, and offices.
- Schedule and deploy operating system and application updates for computers.
- Support computer application deployment and maintenance through PowerShell and Bash scripting development.
- Image and set up new computers received at the School of Communication.
- Create, publish, distribute, monitor, and enforce computer lab policies and regulations.
- Perform daily checks of lab and classroom computers and troubleshoot issues as needed.
- Respond to incoming technical support requests from School of Communication faculty, staff, and students.
- Log and manage technical support requests through an incident management system.
- Support Apple Enterprise JAMF for managing school’s endpoint environment.
- Other duties as assigned by the Manager of Information Technology
- Create and maintain PowerShell and Bash scripts used for installations and system configurations.
- Develop command-line scripts for server-side tasks, automation, and administrative tasks.
5% Other Duties as Assigned by the Manager of Information Technology
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.
Bachelor of Computer Science or equivalent.
- Minimum one year of relevant experience; 4 years desktop/server support, 2 years of web development, and 2 years systems administration preferred.
- Any relevant education, certifications and/or work experience may be considered.
- Fundamental understanding of supporting and troubleshooting Linux, macOS, and Windows operating systems.
- Experience maintaining Linux and/or Windows servers.
- Knowledge of scripting and web languages.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Server+ or similar certification preferred.
Minimum Technical skills:
- Experience with HTML and CSS for custom modifications of webpages in WordPress
- Background understanding of MySQL and backup/restore processes
- Comfortable working with PHP code and troubleshooting WordPress issues, both on the admin and within PHP code. PHP skills required for modifications / repair of WordPress custom code in PHP
- Intermediate WordPress management skills
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux (or equivalent) server management including comfortable use of BASH scripting, cronjob management, BASH scripts for backup of website database and web files
- Ability to deploy WordPress websites from scratch (a plus)
- Knowledge of Linux web server architecture and modules (a plus)
- Detail oriented and careful with code and following protocols
- JAMF MDM management for computer policy control (intermediate and/or willing to learn)
- Intermediate macOS and Windows operating system experience
- Classroom technology troubleshooting skills during live classroom instruction.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.