How You’ll Help Transform Healthcare:
This position is regular part time, working Saturday and Sunday, 7am-7pm.
Provides assessment and consultation, working collaboratively with Carilion care teams and external professionals. Assumes accountability for appropriate patient placement, patient flow and resource utilization of behavioral health patients coming to us through self-referrals, external agencies and hospitals, individual referrals and through our internal departments such as the ED. Facilitates effective two way communication and resolution of issues to support Carilion Clinic’s goals and objectives. Provides 24/7 support while delivering quality service through a team oriented, collaborative approach.
- Provides assessment, consultation and referral services to individuals who are self-referred, or referred by physicians, counselors, agencies and other referral services. Uses knowledge of medical diagnoses and procedures, laboratory and testing results, pharmaceuticals and medical terminology to ensure medical needs are met along with psychosocial needs. Obtains adequate facts and evaluates data to identify and intervene in actual and/or potential safety and risk management issues.
- Provides assessment and consultation for in-patients on medical units and in the ED at Carilion Medical Facilities when requested by the attending physician.Intervenes and problem solves for inter-/intra-departmental issues. Facilitates effective patient throughput by ensuring proper placement through interdepartmental communication, customer service, negotiation and decision making.
- Coordinates and facilitates treatment/referral recommendationswith the psychiatrist and other physicians when there are also medical issues to be considered in the placement and treatment plan
- Documents on all pertinent intake information in the electronic medical record.
- Establishes good working rapport with internal and external providers and care givers.
- Follows up on all referral inquirieswhich require further informationor action regarding intake or admission procedures.
- Maintains current knowledge of the civil commitment process and coordinates involuntary admissions with the local Community Services Board Crisis Service when indicated.
- Completes pre-certification and authorization with insurance companies to verify and obtain approval for hospital admissions.
- Must be knowledgeable of external resources available in the community in order to access appropriate resources for the patient.
- Maintains a referral log and makes follow-up phone callls in order to improve customer service and processes.
- Assists with record keeping, statistics, and call tracking in order to provide accurate data to the Director and physicians in order to better plan budgeting, scheduling, and resource allocation.
- Operates specialized software programs and computer systems that include but not limited to bedboard, teletracking, web x-change, epic and outlook.
- Maintain an overall awareness of bed availabilty, total discharges, total admissions and patient flowin order to appropriately and effectively assign patients.
What We Require:
Education: Graduate of accredited school of nursing required. Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
Experience: Minimum of 2 years experience in Psychiatry, or mental health agencies required.
Licensure/Certifications/Registration: Current Virginia RN license required. De-escalation training must be successfully completed within four months of hire and then maintained going forward. Must be able to obtain AHA BLS-HCP.
Other Minimum Qualifications: Meets documented age specific criteria to provide crisis assessment services to adult, child and adolescent clients/patients. Excellent communication and customer service skills required. Strong computer skills required. Must be flexible and be willing to work as a team player.
This is Carilion Clinic ...
An organization where innovation happens, collaboration is expected and ideas are valued. A not-for-profit, mission-driven health system built on progress and partnerships. A courageous team that is always learning, never discouraged and forever curious.
Headquartered in Roanoke, Va., you will find a robust system of award winning hospitals, Level 1 and 3 trauma centers, Level 3 NICU, Institute of Orthopedics and Neurosciences, multi-specialty physician practices, and The Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute.
Carilion is where you can make your own path, make new discoveries and, most importantly, make a difference. Here, in a place where the air is clean, people are kind and life is good. Make your tomorrow with us.
Requisition Number: 139436
Employment Status: Regular Part Time
Location: Park View
Shift: Weekends Only
Shift Details: Regular Part Time, Saturday & Sunday 7am-7pm
Recruiter: WHITNEY D SHELL
Recruiter Phone: 540-983-4036
Recruiter Email: WDShell@carilionclinic.org
For more information, contact the HR Service Center at 1-800-599-2537.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Carilion Clinic is a drug-free workplace.