Unit Secretary 2nd shift
UH Avon Rehabilitation Hospital is a joint venture between University Hospitals and Kindred Healthcare, bringing together the expertise of both world-class organizations. Opened in January 2016, UH Avon Rehabilitation Hospital is focused on improving the functional status of our patients after an injury or illness with the goal of returning our patients home safely.
To improve the health, function and quality of life of the people in the communities we serve
To be the rehabilitation provider of choice, by providing high-quality care resulting in excellent outcomes and high patient satisfaction.
Supports nursing department operations by assisting with administrative duties such as greeting visitors, scheduling appointments, transferring phone calls, admitting and discharging patients, communicating and coordinating between physicians, nursing staff and other hospital staff. May transcribe physician orders and file paperwork. May assist with patient care as trained.
- Ensures visitors are acknowledged quickly and helps direct them and answer any questions.
- Initiates medical record upon admission. Maintains said record during patient stay, and closes the record upon patient discharge within the electronic medical record.
- Initiates follow-up regarding doctors’ orders.
- Ensures that all patient and special charges are processed.
- Serves as unit receptionist for incoming and outgoing calls and visitor information.
- Interacts frequently with unit personnel, physicians, visitors, patients’ families and other ancillary hospital personnel for the purpose of giving and receiving information.
- Has contact with patients. Duties may include answering patient lights, and fulfilling patient request for non-care items, attend appointments with patients, working in the café. Requires professional, courteous, and helpful manner in all contacts with customers.
- Position involves multi-tasking in a high stress environment. Requires constant mental alertness and the ability to calmly and accurately perform duties when subjected to frequent and varied interruptions.
- Must have the ability to exercise judgment and initiative in the resolution of problems encountered.
- Ensures that all patient and unit equipment, supplies and procedures are ordered and received,
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma required, with two years of college level education preferred.
- Computer experience required.
- Prior experience in a hospital setting is preferred.
- Must have the ability to work with all levels of medical personnel, patients and families,
- Ability to speak and write concisely with knowledge of medical terminology desirable.