A travel nurse will be expected to perform varied RN functions across multiple disciplines and facilities. Assignments and work will vary depending on the type of assignment, facility, and patient population. Critical thinking skills and flexibility are critical for a travel RN due to the numerous competencies that must be maintained to cover Carilion enterprise needs.
As a team member, you are expected to consistently deliver quality care and customer service and demonstrate respect, dignity, kindness and empathy in each encounter with our patients, their families, visitors, and with each other. As part of the health care team, assumes primary accountability for nursing coordination and provision of individualized care for patients of all ages. Utilizes delegation and critical thinking skills to provide quality service through a collaborative approach to patient care.
- Assesses, plans, implements, and evaluates patient care in order to achieve optimum patient outcomes for patients of all ages as appropriate to service area.
- Age specific admission and ongoing assessments are completed, documented and used to develop a plan of care.
- Collaborates with members of the health care team/patient/family to develop, implement, and evaluate an age-specific interdisciplinary plan of care. Revises plan according to changes in patient status.
- Treatments and medications for patients of all ages are accurately administered and documented utilizing automated computer systems, including electronic medical records.
- Patient/family (caregiver) educational needs are identified in a timely manner, incorporated into the plan of care, implemented and documented appropriately.
- Contributes to Carilion Clinic’s performance improvement activities.
- Consistently demonstrates the role of patient advocate, protector of patient’s rights, and provider of psychological/social/cultural support.
- Applies knowledge of growth and development to appropriately care for patients served.
- Synthesizes multiple points of data and clinical symptoms to formulate a comprehensive plan of care that supports patient focused care, throughput and organizational key process initiatives
- Determines and performs within clinical, leadership, and/or education pathways to support (direct/indirect) evidenced based, quality patient care service and performance improvement.
- Exhibits clinical expertise in rapidly changing circumstances.
- Plans strategies to reduce length of stay, turnaround time, resource consumption and improve patient outcomes.
- Functions as role model and mentor coworker, students, and physicians.
- Manages resources, establishes priorities, and modifies environment to meet patient care needs.
- Completes manager/director predetermined projects within specified time frame and according to pre-established guidelines.
- Uses problem-solving methods to facilitate resolution to patient and personnel situations that present in the work area.
- Takes an active role in the orientation of new employees.
- Provides feedback to staff using appropriate communication and documentation.
- Provides input into practice, environment, and work issues by participating on unit, hospital, and/or system activities which facilitates staff participation/input in decision making.
Education: Graduate of a State Board of Nursing approved program required. BSN preferred.
Experience: 2 years of experience in a related field.
Licensure, certification, and/or registration: Current RN license in the state of Virginia required or new graduate of approved program eligible to sit for the Virginia licensure exam. Psychiatry & Behavioral Health: De-escalation training must be successfully completed within 1 year of hire and then maintainted going forward. Must pass a Criminal Record check per Virginia State Law. Pediatrics: Care delivered within competency to pediatrics and PICU (PALS & PEARS required). Home Health: Must have valid VA Driver's license and pass a Crimical Record Check per VA State Law.
Life Support: AHA BLS-HCP required. May be required to obtain/maintain BLS, ACLS, PALS, NRP based on specific work unit.
Other Minimum Qualifications: Must successfully complete orientation and competency requirements. Keyboarding skills and computer literacy required for automated computer systems, including electronic medical records. Must be able to meet essential job functions. In Psychiatry and Behavioral Health must possess ability to appropriately handle/restrain patients who may be disruptive and/or physically violent.
This is Carilion Clinic ...
An organization where innovation happens, collaboration is expected and ideas are valued. A not-for-profit, mission-driven health system built on progress and partnerships. A courageous team that is always learning, never discouraged and forever curious.
Headquartered in Roanoke, Va., you will find a robust system of award winning hospitals, Level 1 and 3 trauma centers, Level 3 NICU, Institute of Orthopedics and Neurosciences, multi-specialty physician practices, and The Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute.
Carilion is where you can make your own path, make new discoveries and, most importantly, make a difference. Here, in a place where the air is clean, people are kind and life is good. Make your tomorrow with us.
Requisition Number: 128796
Employment Status: Full time
Location: CRMH - Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital
Shift Details: D/N/EOW rotating shifts
Recruiter: EMILY F ALLEN
Recruiter Email: email@example.com
For more information, contact the HR Service Center at 1-800-599-2537.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Carilion Clinic is a drug-free workplace.