Orlando Health is a 3,200-bed system that includes 15 wholly-owned hospitals and emergency departments; rehabilitation services, cancer institutes, heart institutes, imaging and laboratory services, wound care centers, physician offices for adults and pediatrics, skilled nursing facilities, an in-patient behavioral health facility, home healthcare services in partnership with LHC Group, and urgent care centers in partnership with CareSpot Urgent Care. Nearly 4,200 physicians, representing more than 80 medical specialties and subspecialties have privileges across the Orlando Health system, which employs nearly 22,000 team members. Areas of clinical excellence are orthopedics, heart and vascular, cancer care, neurosciences, surgery, pediatric specialties, neonatology, women’s health and trauma.
The RN, Triage (OP ONLY) fields, documents, and assesses calls relating to the assigned Service Line, as liaison between physicians and hospital staff.
• For Team Members hired into this job prior to January 1, 2020: Graduate of an approved school of nursing.
• Effective January 1, 2020: New Hires and Team Members moved into this job and/or transferring Depts. must obtain a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree (BSN) within 36 months of placement.
• Maintains current RN license in the State of Florida.
• Maintains current ACLS and BLS certifications.
Five (5) years of clinical experience, with a minimum of two (2) years in the assigned service line required
• Provides primary care to patients, acting as an extension of the physician by conducting thorough and sound assessments to queries from the hospital setting (does not include Emergency Department).
• Answers and triages emergent and non-emergent calls from hospital staff regarding inpatient care in a timely manner.
• Works closely with Answering Service to ensure all calls are received and handled.
• Communicates/transcribes patient orders as directed by supervising physician.
• Provides education and training to hospital staff regarding cases presented through calls.
• Provides guidance and instruction on acute intervention of unstable patients in the hospital prior to physician arrival.
• Develops, coordinates implementation of, and evaluates a plan of care for each call presented.
• Documents all call inquiries according to department policies and procedures.
• Works independently and effectively with minimal supervision.
• Coordinates with office staff, physician, or nurse each morning in the office Monday through Friday to ensure smooth transition of patient issues and any leftover consults from overnight.
• Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served.
• Demonstrates proficiency in technical and interpersonal skills, in relating with physicians, associates, and hospital staff.
• Gathers patient history on new/established patient admissions to hospital prior to the physician visit, as per physician directive.
• Assists with arranging patient transfers from outlying hospitals, as deemed necessary.
• Assists with the scheduling of hospital-based procedures as indicated based on patient information and per physician directive.
• Orders diagnostic studies as indicated per physician directive.
• Discusses diagnostic test recommendations and results with patients and family members per physician directive.
• Proficiently identifies patients who have a change in status and coordinates emergent care with physician on-call.
• Provides patient services with the ultimate goal of providing the highest level of quality care and customer service.
• Maintains reasonably regular, punctual attendance consistent with Orlando Health policies, the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
• Maintains compliance with all Orlando Health policies and procedures.
Other Related Functions
• Attends required meetings and participates on committees and projects as requested.
• Participates in professional development activities and maintains professional license(s) and affiliation(s).
• Demonstrates knowledge of insurance plans with which physician practice participates and understands pre-certification process.